with No Comments

Phyllis Ramkumar, Immigration Consultant, Former CIC Officer.      

 To sponsor your spouse, common law, partner, in Canada you must first determine if you are eligible to sponsor someone in this category as eligibility is the key factor before you can start the preparation of your application. The eligibility factor slightly differs for each one. Since we are dealing with spousal sponsorship in Canada, we will discuss the details of this process. The application forms are the same for all three categories

To sponsor your spouse/common-law partner, you must be at least 18 years of age, a Canadian citizen, or a permanent resident living in Canada. However, if you are a Canadian citizen, living outside Canada, you must provide evidence that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored family member becomes a permanent resident. You cannot sponsor your spouse if you are a permanent resident living outside Canada.

You cannot be in receipt of social assistance unless you are receiving

assistance for disability reasons. You must provide proof that you have enough income for the basic needs of your sponsoring family members.

Furthermore, if you are sponsoring your spouse/common-law partner who has a grandchild, or a dependent child who has a dependent, you have to meet the Low-Income-Cut-off. This information is provided by the Government of Canada and is published yearly. You will have to complete

additional information – Financial Evaluation Form in addition to the other Application forms to be submitted with your application package.

Additional factors that can affect your eligibility as a sponsor as a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. Your citizenship must not be in the process of revocation, you must not have a removal order against you, or your

permanent resident status must not be under review for residency

obligation. Furthermore, you must not have any serious criminal charges that are pending against you. For e.g. if you have been charged with an

offense that is punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of ten years, this situation will render you ineligible to sponsor your spouse or common-law partner.

If none of the above ineligibility requirements apply, then you can proceed with your application process. However, if you encounter problems with the application preparation, you can seek advice from an Immigration

Consultant or a Lawyer who are experienced professionals in Immigration matters such as this, and for a reasonable fee we can assist you so that your application will have a higher chance of success

Phyllis Ramkumar is currently a Registered Immigration Consultant with Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council. Prior to her role as an Immigration Consultant, she was a former Senior Immigration Officer with the Department of Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada. 

For more information please call Mrs. Phyllis Ramkumar @ 647-822-7495